Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Still kinda busy...but had to find the time to write this.
Expect an "update" later on my recent trip to SF (so much fun)..and Traci's Bday party.
until then..u can refer to the pictures on ofoto. (click links above) =)



OK...so what was so important to write about....
well...guess its this recent friendster.com craze. I don’t usually sign up for all these internet hype stuff...but after chilln with some friends in SF...i had a reason. =p
Well...besides being a cool idea...on a really crappy server that cuts out like every 10 minutes...it got me thinking about some things.

I know a lot of people. Thatz a fact. but the question really is...do i define them as friends?

For me...there are varying levels in which I know someone. The majority of the people I know...mostly acquaintances. I don't really have very many friends. So when I started getting requests from people i knew (college, Fraternity, etc)...or people i never really hung out with...had to pause to decide. Funny...simple question you'd think..."are you friends with this guy/girl?"...but not a simple answer. On the flip side, i found a number of people that i know as acquaintances...but wondered if they ever felt I was a friend?.

Really...I'm a private guy. So after a while...the novelty of the idea started to wear off...and some fears actually came up. I never really liked mixing my circle of friends. Each one knows an aspect of me...but what would happen when those boundaries became blurred. I mean really...wouldn't it be weird...if your high school best friend...ends up dating your ex-girlfriend's roommate...that you also know thanks to friendster. If it was meant to be...i'd be happy for them...but i'd also have to say...its still kinda awkward.

The other thing I worried about were people using my name/"friendship" to fuck around with my friends. Yeah...I'd have to say I'm really protective of my friends...girls especially. I'll be the first to admit that guys are dogs... and yes... i may be friends with some of them...but it doesn't necessarily mean i approve of their actions. So...hesitation again on friendster.

In the end... I more or less approved people...just as an acknowledgement that i do know them...but i also left a stern warning on my profile (below). But yeah...if you are on friendster...go ahead and request if you want to be my friend... But if you really want to know where you stand...just send me a direct email. This is not the email I used on friendster.


In response to "About Me":

humm...shy =p... funny (least I think so)... boring (yeah...really)...streaks of spontaneity...listener...protector...friend. I don't talk about myself much...but i really don't have much to hide. I just don't express it much.

-Which brings me to my next thought...I'm not trying to be popular here...but I do have varying definitions of friends. I honestly don't have a lot of friends...but a lot of acquaintances. Friends mean a lot to me...and I pretty much do anything for them. So...getting requests from people I "know"...but hardly know...yeah...kinda a quandary. If you want to go from more than an acquaintance to a friend...thats up to you to take the initiative. I'm always willing.

--on the other hand..if you're expecting to pick up on any of my FRIENDS...cuz you say your my friend...you better not hurt any of them. (I'm very protective...especially of my friends-girls). If you hurt them...expect to get your ass kicked by ALL of my friends. For realz.

Currently Listening to: I want you - Thalia Feat Fat Joe
Mood: protective

No comments: