Tuesday, July 16, 2002

A boy and his dog.

Warning…depressing post. I’m not even sure why I am posting this…but it seems to me things become a lot clearer once I start writing about it. This is not a “happy happy” post either, so be warned.

Here begins the story of Cube, my dog. I kinda wanted a dog as I was growing up, but was always told by my parents, “if you can’t clean your room, how can you care for a dog.” I sufficed with that reply, until one day a dog chose me.

It was the summer before my senior year in college (1996). Till that time, I was content with my one loving relationship with my girlfriend (Christine) of three years. We were visiting her cousins when I first met Cube. The two cousins had just gotten him from a friend and didn’t realize how much time it would take to care for a dog, especially since the apartment complex didn’t allow pets.

(Cube was named after the rapper ICE CUBE, their favorite artist. Since then he’s been called Cube, Cubee, Cubosity, Pubosity, Piquito Puppy, and Baby. The name and all different versions stuck, so I never really change it. )

So again, we were visiting Christine’s cousins when first met him. I was just sitting on the floor hanging out, when he jumped up into my lap. He kept jumping up trying to lick my face (soon to be know as a trademark Cube move). Eventually he wore me out and “attacked” with his affections. That was the beginning of it all.

The cousins were going to be gone one weekend, so I offered to take care of Cube. Being that I had a house, it was a lot easier to just bring him there. Soon after all my roommates fell in love with him to. Smart dog with an attitude, Cube did his own thing. Besides that he is cute as hell. He has that genetic trait of broken ear that just makes him look even more adorable. That weekend stay eventually became forever.

When I brought him home the first time, my parents simply responded with “he’ll be your responsibility.” Secretly I know he became as much a part of their life as he is mine. He is the guardian of the house, since he is home more often than any of us. While my sister was going through school, he was the caring friend always happy to see her walk in the door. He loves seeing people, although at times he could be a bit bi-polar. Usually pretty nice, but sometimes he’ll snap at people. He would jump in the car with dad to go pick up people or follow my mom around the kitchen hoping for something to drop. When he first came home, we would have him stand on his hind legs reaching for food and doing tricks. I never really taught him any tricks, but he did learn to fetch on his own. Sometimes he’d bring the ball back, sometimes he wouldn’t (as seen in the tennis balls all over the house.) And at night, he was the one who would jump on the bed, readjust the blankets, and sleep through the night.

I guess its time to come to the sad part of this story. There have been many happy times with Cube and honestly times I wish he wasn’t around. I guess its just like any relationship. (luckily you don’t have to tell a girlfriend not to pee on a computer…at least I hope you don’t) Well overactive dog has enjoyed jumping up on chairs, tables, stairs a bit too much. As of Friday he suffered his third “back sprain” that has incapacitated his hind legs. The first two times, we all got scared, but luckily medication and rest was able to rehabilitate him. This most recent time though, the medication doesn’t seem to be making a difference. I worried about it all the way down from Norcal, so I prepped myself for the worse case scenario.

And I guess its now decision time. Since the medication isn’t working the only other options right now are surgery or euthanasia. Since the damage is in the Central Nervous System, a quick decision is required. Surgery right now will give a 30% chance of recovery even after a year of physical therapy. That is of course if Cube is cooperative with the physical therapist. Euthanasia is obviously more immediate...and more heart breaking.

I see him here, sleeping peacefully in the corner of my room. He acts without a care, continuing to try to jump into people’s laps even with his bad back. Other than the fact he drags his back hind quarters, he doesn’t seem to be in any pain. This is what makes this decision even more difficult. So the question remains, what to do? I’ve been trying to talk to many people to get their opinion. Will he be happy? Am I prolonging the evitable? What will be his quality of life afterwards? How much can I honestly dedicate to him to rehabilitate?

My mind says that letting him go would be best for everyone. No one at home, including myself can dedicate the required time and attention to him, especially for rehabilitation. It would hurt a lot in the beginning, but eventually we will cope. My heart won’t let me do it. This is my best friend. The love of my life. He is a big part of my family. I look at him and don’t want to imagine life without him. I knew at some point in time this would happen…but you still don’t want to think about it. He is so much like me. Its just like killing a part of me.

I’m gonna sleep on this…but even then it won’t make it any easier. I thank everyone I talked to for your time and sympathy. I leave you all with this story to help make things easier. A Precious gift of Life and Love.

No comments: