Bill Koo's Visit
For the last week in Aug..i had a friend stay with me. Nice story when you think about it He is a friend from UCR that i met in my second year. That year i didn't really do much with my dorm hall, as i had my fair share of activities with APO. Anyways..Bill was one of the few people in the hall that would actually stop and talk to me. He has been great in organizing D4 Hall get-togethers and keeping in touch with everyone (well...more with the people he hung out with...less on me cuz we hardly talked).
Anyways..i was going through my buddy list..and clearing out the names of people i don't see online anymore...or really talk to anymore. I saw Bill's screenname. I mean...geez..its been like..almost 7 years since i've seen him or talked to him. So..mentally..i decided..i think i'll just archive his name..and remove him from the list. Well..that same day (yeah..believe it), I was about to IM someone..and I accidentally double clicked his name. D'oh. I asked if he remembered who it was (was using my personal IM..not the work one)..and he said yeah. Our converstation got into how we each have been, his wife and daughter, and stories of the ol' gang. I was happy that he still remembered me...even thought it had been so long. Well..he proceeds to ask me about Microsoft stuff...esp since i was a MCSE teacher...and tells me that he qualified for this free class in Anaheim. I'm not sure how the topic came up..but basically i offered for him to stay at my house...to save him some money. Raising a family is not easy...let alone in the bay area. It was a good week with him there...the few times we were able to see each other. I think the best part though was the first day.
I think the most memorable experience of that week was that monday. Karen had been house sitting waiting for the electrician throughout the day. Bill had just driven in from his first day of class...that started with him leaving victorville at 5am that morning. Earlier in the day, i got the call that my school network server was down as well..and they needed it back up soon (school was starting the next week). While i was coming home to greet both of them and try to unwind, i got the call that the Australia firewall was down..and needed to get things back up quick.
Talk about pressure. At the same time that started happening, the electrican arrives to work on something..and neil walks in to start moving some stuff in. CRAZY i tell you. I'm glad Karen sensed the pressure and took Bill out to get food..while i stressed in front of the PC. Thats the nice thing about her...she can read me well.
Later that evening...everything starts to settle...more like midnite or so....and i'm sitting there questioning myself..."do i go to the school tonite...or not?". I made a promise..that i'd go...but i knew that the staff would understand if i couldn't. In front of me, my wary traveller Bill was getting ready to crash while Karen was sleeping in my room. I decided...i'm gonna go. I promised..and they needed it for the next day.
So..i started getting things ready..and i went to my room to tell Karen i was going. Its only been a short time knowing her...but i knew she'd be upset if i didn't tell her. Because i knew her..i also guessed at what she would do next.
Yeah...she woke up...to come along. I told her she didn't have to...but she was set on what she wanted to do. In many respects thats whut i love about her. We got her CD player..and put some things together. What i didn't expect was the following...
as i started to walk to leave the house...Bill learned that Karen was going...and decided that he would come along as well. Wow..i surround my self with some amazing people. A friend i havent talked to in forever....and a girlfriend i only met a month ago...both heading out on a task with me at 1am.
I truly am a lucky man for the friends i have.
Friday, September 17, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment