OK..bad news first...Beware...this is a bit graphic and disgusting.
As most of you know I'm a teacher of networking technology. I teach Microsoft Networking (MCSE) courses at a vocational school. My students range from kids right out of high school to adults going through a retraining or career change. I've been teaching for the past year and things between my students and me have always been great. I treat my students as equals...as opposed to the traditional teacher (knows everything) - student (knows nothing) relationship. Well this past week has been a little traumatic.
So I have this one student in class. Older man in his thirties, a bit quirky, but overall displaying a desire to learn. One of those overgrown nerd types. Well on Tues, I'm helping this student out with some problems on a worksheet. As I'm sitting next to him, I realize that he is a bit on display. (Remember that friends episode about phoebe's boyfriend … yeah...that one). So I ignore it and concentrate on the worksheet. Of course I'm embarrassed...but I also didn't want to embarrass him. I finish helping him solve a problem, and tell him to try the rest at home.
Next day (Wed), still working on subnetting problems in class. (Many people have problems with it). Fast forward to the end of class, I find myself helping him out again. This time I'm working the problems out on the board while he has moved to the seat in the front. Well...I SEE him again … yes… embarrassing again. This guy really has to get some pants ... sheesh. This time I strategically use my podium to block my view and concentrate on the problem. I felt I really should say something to him...but how do you tell someone that? Hey...please put on some pants! So I hoped that this wouldn't be a regular occurrence and finished what I had to do and went home.
Thursday, I get to work and am asked to call this student. I call the number to hear that he has some car problems and that he won't be in class today. I tell him that it will be ok and to take care of his car. He also says that he has something to apologize to me about something. I wasn't sure what it could be (I had a good idea) ... but I told him I wasn't offended by anything and not to worry. Again I tell him to just take care of his car and I would see him the next day.
Now...I'm thinking...I'll wait till he "apologizes" to find out what he thought he did. I would be really weird if I said..."everything is ok ... just wear pants next time"...just to find out he wanted to apologize about cutting me off during lecture or something ... so I play stupid and wait to see what happens.
Friday comes along and my student shows up. During a break, my student decides to apologize to me for what he did on Wednesday. I told him that I didn't know what he was talking about so I guess everything is ok. So he says...
****ATTENTION...NEXT SECTION IS NASTY AND DISGUSTING...READ WITH CAUTION...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED****
So he says..."so you didn't see me playing with myself during your lecture?"
OH MY GOD..WHAT THE FUCK??? Shocked I said.."What?"
he replies "so I guess if you didn't see me I have nothing to apologize for."
Still in shock..."Um..well..I appreciate the apology...but I think you should keep that to yourself. I don't want to embarrass you or anything...so I'm just going to keep this between us."
He says ok...and I somehow get through the rest of class.
After that moment...things start flashing to me. I remembered how he asked me on Tues how old I was and if I was married. Then I started wondering if he was thinking about me while he was...well you know. UGHHH...still...UGHHH. While I was writing on the board..all I could think of is if he was thinking about me while I was lecturing. If he was also "pleasuring" himself in the back of class....I was so disgusted. I started to get this sick feeling in my stomach. So class finishes...and I am still reeling from the shock. I remembered that another instructor in the previous year was sexually assaulted by a student. The other student pinned the instructor to the wall and attempted to undo his pants. I thought to myself...FUCK that...if he comes close...I'm throwing punches.
With the student gone...I decided to talk to my supervisor. I realize I can be very forgiving of people...but I didn't want to have to explain the whole story to someone if it came to a fight. I informed my supervisor of the past events and that I was willing to let it go since there was only three weeks left in the course. As I was talking to the instructor (behind closed doors)...we began to realize more and more how abnormal this behavior was. At this same time...the student passes by the window of the supervisor's office. Oh shit...now this is getting freaky. We figure that he was walking out for the day and continue to talk about it. We had been talking for over an hour. The supervisor made me feel a little better and we decided that the school will talk to him on Monday. The likelihood is that he will be removed from school. I was relieved and start walking back to my classroom to get my stuff. My supervisor decides to walk with me on the slim chance that the student would still be there. I wasn't concerned..but we walked anyways. He supposedly signaled me..but a little to late....since as I open the door to the classroom..I find the student in there. OH FUCKING SHIT...what is going to happen now? My supervisor had walked away from the classroom, hoping I would follow..but instead I walked in.
So there I am, in an awkward situation with this student in front of me. He is thanking me for not saying anything and keeping it between us. I tell him...um yeah..I didn't want to embarrass him. He says ok..I'll wear pants more often...and if he wears shorts again...he'll try to keep IT in. I try to keep him at ease while I'm standing there panicking. Of course...during this whole time I'm freaking out.... I'm thinking...oh shit...he has been waiting in this room for me the whole time. He's checking to see if I said anything (since I was in the supervisor's room). And now I'm alone in this room. Where the fuck is my supervisor? and am I really stuttering while I'm talking to him? why is he walking closer to me? Finally this whole thing is over and he walks out.
My supervisor comes in with the technician, as the student is walking out. Great..my savior (sarcastic). He sits in the classroom with me for a while..as I become concerned that the student might be still outside. Now I'm really freaked. I'm looking all around while I'm getting into my car. Calling my work making sure that they don't give out my home number or address. Wondering what going back to work would be like...since the student may feel I betrayed him. There are no guards at me school so there would be nothing preventing him from just walking back into my class. If anything happens, I know my other students will be there... I'm just hoping that it doesn't get to that level. Some people are just sick. I'm just worried on what he may do next. Just have to get my mind off it...(Think happy thoughts..think happy thoughts).
Sunday, February 10, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment